Benefits: immune boosting and gut healing.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces – or 8 ounces extra-firm organic sprouted tofu, pressed, drained and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 slices fresh peeled ginger (approximately 1 inch in diameter and 1/8 inch thick)
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut diagonally 2 inches long, trimmed and bruised
- 4 cups fresh chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 6 fresh kaffir lime leaves, slightly broken
- 1- 2 teaspoons coconut syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 small tomatoes, cut into wedges
- handful of straw mushrooms
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
In a large saucepan, place oil over medium heat and add onion, chicken or tofu, ginger and lemongrass; cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
Stir in broth, fish sauce, kaffir lime leaves, syrup, crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and mushrooms. Return to a simmer and cook 3 minutes longer or until heated through.
Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and cilantro. If desired, remove and discard ginger, lemongrass and lime leaves before serving.