Gram Flour Pancakes GF/DF
Benefit: gluten free, high protein and rich in gut supporting spices.
For the pancakes:
- 1 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 green chilli (optional) finely chopped/seeds removed
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 tbs cumin seeds
- 1 inch fresh ginger – grated
- 2 tsp good mineral/sea salt
- ½ tsp chilli/paprika/cayenne ( too taste)
- Olive oil or ghee to cook pancakes
For the raita:
- 1 cup of kefir/organic natural yoghurt
- ¼ cup chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup freshly chopped herbs- coriander/parsley/basil
- salt and ground pepper to taste
In a large bowl place the chickpea flour and dry spices and salt.
Add in the coriander and chilli (if using) and ginger. Whisk in the water ensuring no lumps. When the mixture is smooth leave to sit for 1-2 hours (you may make it the night before and just add a little more water the next day before cooking).
To cook heat a ceramic frying pan or preferably a Teflon free pan on high heat add some olive oil – use kitchen towel so you can spread the oil evenly around the pan. Using a ladle spoon one helping of the batter and swirl it around gently holding the handle to spread the batter evenly to make a crepe like circle.
Cook until golden then flip it over with a spatula. Cook on the other side until golden. Continue until all the batter is used.
Line a basket with a tea towel. Place the cooked pancakes inside and wrap so they keep warm until you serve.
Serve with hummus/raita/chopped tomatoes with herbs and finely chopped red onion.