Activated Raw Nuts
Nuts are difficult to digest unless we activate them by soaking them, thereby tricking the nut to release its nutrients. Almonds are especially difficult to digest without activation.
I like to soak a mixture of raw nuts, almonds, cashews, brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, and walnuts in apple cider vinegar. The beauty of a raw apple cider vinegar (Braggs or Edens are good brands to use), is that it aids digestion. During stressful periods our digestion shuts down and reduces stomach acid. If you’re someone who is eating on the go, you’re eating under stressful conditions. The vinegar will support your gut and your job is to chew thoroughly!
Take a ceramic dish and mix together your favourite raw nuts.
Pour over enough raw apple cider vinegar to cover the raw nuts, mix with clean hands or spoon if you prefer, leave for 4 hours.
Come back to stir your mixture when you can!
Then add your favourite herbs and spices:
- I like to use turmeric, it is powerfully anti-inflammatory and supports liver detox pathways.
- Chilli flakes boost metabolism.
- Ginger increases zinc and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Black cumin seed for digestion, anti microbial.
- Coriander seed or powder for detox.
- 2 tbs of tamari wheat free soya sauce.
- Garam masala is anti ageing, anti microbial.
Start with a tsp of each and adjust to taste, except turmeric, and add up to 2 tsp.
For a sweet treat:
Soak your raw nuts in cashew milk for 4 hours.
Strain off the milk and place in a bowl.
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp good vanilla powder – I love Madagascan vanilla powder
- 1-2 tbs coconut nectar
Mix well together and adjust seasoning.
If you have a dehydrator lay your activated nuts on the trays and dehydrate until crunchy, can take up to 48hrs.
For oven baking, use the lowest setting 120C, lay the raw nuts on grease proof paper lined baking trays, one layer of nuts only.
Let the nuts dry over 12 hrs and check.
Aim not to increase heat as it destroys the essential fats in the nuts.
Store the nuts in airtight containers, preferably glass jars.
Enjoy as part of a meal or as a snack.